Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It works with your life energy also known as “Qi or Chi” in China, “Ki” in Japan, “Ti” in Hawaii, and “Prana” in India. Should a client’s life energy be low, it is more difficult to deal with stress. The individual may notice disturbances with sleep, appetite, stamina, and vitality. Therefore, the person is more susceptible to dis-ease and sickness. Whereas, when the life energy is strong, the individual feels strong, can more easily deal with stress, and is less likely to experience illness.
The body has its own innate healing ability and will utilize the energy to balance the body on all levels. Reiki treatments facilitate an increase a client’s supply of life energy, balances the body and increases oxygen within the cells all which in turn promotes healing. Reiki is commonly used for wellness and not just when there is an illness. Routine treatments allow the mind, body, and soul maintain stable vitality. These treatments are non-invasive which complements other wellness and healing treatments with little to no contraindications.
Unlike massage and other energy treatments, all sessions are conducted clothed. Simply wear loose, comfortable clothing and abstain from wearing jewelry, belts and socks. The client will be lying on a massage table for the entirety of the treatment session. Reiki will be administered through the hands of the Reiki practitioner who places her hands in specific locations, lightly touching the body or hovering slightly over the client’s body. Reiki energy flows from the practitioner’s hands and is absorbed by the client’s body and energy field. The focus is upon different positions around the body including the head, neck, shoulders, abdomen, back, legs and feet. Tissue and muscles are not manipulated.
A Reiki session feels different for each individual likewise for each session. Many describe a soothing, loving, radiance that embraces the client and provides feelings of relaxation, peace and serenity as mind and body connect.
Reiki is becoming increasingly popular with the medical community with over 800 hospital across the U.S. offering Reiki including Littleton Regional Healthcare (prior to the Corona virus pandemic). A study at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, CT indicates that Reiki improved patient sleep by 86%, reduced pain by 78%, reduced nausea by 80% and reduced anxiety during pregnancy by 94% (Hartford Hospital, 2013).
Benefits of Reiki
- Reiki energy is absorbed on a cellular level allowing the muscles to relax and provides an increase of blood and oxygen flow. This quickens the healing process. Practitioners and clients report help with:
- Stress reduction
- Pain Management particularly with: headaches, insomnia, gastrointestinal issues, breathing constraints, sprains, menstrual pain/cramps, arthritis, post surgery and many other ailments
- Soothe tired and sore muscles, joints, tendons
- Stimulate the immune system
- Create mental clarity and focus
- Assist manifestation of goals
- Balance mood
- Emotional release of anger, fear, worry, and sadness replacing with love and peace
- Align the chakra system and flow of energy
- Stimulate acupressure points
- Repair rips, tears, and abnormalities within the energy matrix
- Enhance connection with the higher-self
Benefits for Pregnancy & Childbirth
Antepartum and Pregnancy
- Reduce nausea
- Relieves aches and pains
- Removes energy blockages for easier birth
- Ease anxiety and fatigue
- Increase baby movement
- Stimulate energy
Labor, Delivery, and Recovery
- Relieve contraction pain
- Lower need for epidural or pharmaceuticals
- Reduce anxiety
- Non-invasive comfort measure
- Ease trauma of birthing experience
- Create a centered and empowered birth
- Welcome newborn into the world
- Physical and emotional healing
- Pain management
- Relaxation support
- Supports lactation during breastfeeding
- Creates bond with newborn
- Alleviate postpartum depression
Dads and Birthing Partners
Reiki can be beneficial to learn prior to the birth. This can help ease the anxiety of birth and empower the partner with a task to do which can actually help. Reiki also provides a unique bond which is nurturing and supportive on all levels. Reiki is a gift that can support the new family throughout their lifetime.